<BGSOUND SRC="http://www.26thohioinfantry.com/tramptramp.mid">
           Company Histories
                 Company  C (the Color Company)
Sources:  History of Morrow County , Sgt. Elias Coles' Journal of 3 Years' Service with the Twenty-Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the Great Rebellion, 1861-1864, and Sergeant  JF Doty's diary.
From the History of Morrow County:

Early in June, 1861, Captain Jesse Meredith, a veteran of the war with Mexico, as captain of Company B, Third Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, at the age of forty-four years, and in June, 1861, at the age of fifty-nine years, began to raise a company in Westfield township, Morrow county, of which he was a resident, and in the adjoining territory in Delaware County; which became Company C, of the Twenty-sixth Ohio Regiment. His commission was dated June 5, 1861. About one-half of this company was from Morrow county and one-half from Delaware county. On account of age and infirmity Captain Meredith resigned August 11, 1862. The first lieutenant was E. A. Hicks of Delaware county, who was promoted to captain of Company I. William Clark was second lieutenant, promoted to first lieutenant December 12, 1861; to captain Company E, December 5, 1862; to lieutenant colonel December 9, 1864, and mustered out with the regiment October 21, 1865, at Victoria, Texas.

Other soldiers of this company, whose merits require particular notice are Benjamin W. Shotwell, appointed sergeant and promoted first sergeant July 15, 1861; second lieutenant December 5, 1862, and first lieutenant April 6, 1863; severely wounded September 20, 1863, at Chickamauga, Georgia and resigned September 13, 1864; veteran. Also Justin A. Goodhue, appointed sergeant and promoted to first sergeant December 5, 1861; second lieutenant April 6, 1863, and mustered out February 11, 1865; veteran. Also Jerry  E. Coomer, promoted from private to hospital steward, August 1,1864; to first lieutenant Company D, December 9, 1864; to captain February 10, 1865, and resigned June 8, 1865; veteran. Also Josephus F. Doty and John B. Richardson, sergeants, each served three years. Jesse Mason, musician, was captured September 2O, 1863, at Chickamauga, Georgia, and confined in Rebel prisons at Libby, (Richmond, Virginia), Pemberton, Danville, Andersonville, Charleston and Florence, and paroled in December 1864; discharged January 25, 1865.

The members from Morrow county of Company C, who were killed or died of wounds or disease in the service were: Corporals Thomas J. Simpson, and William Creamer; George H. Burrell, James Bartholomew, George Bensley, Newman Barber, Benjamin Corkins, John Goodhue, Daniel Hopkins, Adam Moyer, Newton Oliver, Levi Potter, Jonathan Sherwood, Albert Taylor, David H. Taylor, William H. West, Frank M. Wilcox, and Dennison Frye. Wounded: John Shoemaker.Discharged after three years' service: W. H. Miller, Vincent E. Dunnen, Elijah Hibbard, Benton Mason, and Sidney Winsor. Discharged October 21,1865, as veterans: Theron M. Messenger, corporal; Samuel E. Hull, musician; William Bensley, William McClary and William Worline.

Selected excerpts from Elias Coles' Journal of Three Years' Service with the 26th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the Great Rebellion, 1861-1864.

( Note:  Sgt Elias Cole, co C, maintained a nearly daily journal of his three year enlistment from April, 1861 through July, 1864.  This 70 page rare booklet provides many insights as to what transpired in the 26th OVI, and company C specifically.  Below are selected excerpts transcribed verbatim [except for clarifications in brackets]. )


April 22. Left Ashley [ Delaware County, Ohio ] amid much cheering by friends; arrived at Delaware and found the populace in a high state of excitement of mind concerning the rebellion of the slave states against the government of the United States....
Wed, April 24.  Received word that the requisition for three months' men was filled; we disbanded and immediately reorganized our company as a company  of minute men awaiting orders from the governor of Ohio.   The company elected J. Meredith , captain; E. A. Hicks, first lieutenant; Wm Clark, second lieutenant; W.L. Mills, orderly sergeant. We continued to drill and recruit, and about May 12 we had news of our acceptance.June 6.  We received orders to report to Camp Chase on Saturday, June 15.  On the morning of the 15th, Delaware was filled to overflowing with friends that had congregated to bid adieu to friends and relatives  that were about to depart to brave the dangers of war in behalf of their country...

Tuesday, June 18.  We were mustered into service of the United States and took the oath...

Thursday, August 1.  ...we left Camp Chase...we are aboard the train bound for Cincinnati with as little air as a person can well live on...we arrived at Cincinnati and proceeded to the boat landing, where the boats lay with steam up and ready to convey us up the river.Saturday, August 3.  At 10:30 am we came to the Virginia line. At a short distance from the line we came to the small village of Guyandotte, a secession place, where they had fired on some union troops while passing up the river.  They did not raise the flag or salute us, but we were ready and would have given them a brush if they had attempted to raise their rattlesnake flag...
August 10.  ... In the evening one of the most unlucky  and saddest accidents happened, in which James Cole ( Elias' brother) lost his life.  We were stacking our arms, when a gun was accidentally discharged, the ball entering the left eye and passing through the head, coming out at the upper part of the back of the head.  He seemed to breathe for nearly half an hour, but was not conscious of anything after being struck...

Sept. 6-  ...hearing of the death of G.H. Burrell, a private in our company, who was shot by the rebels, a detachment was sent to bury him.
Sunday, Sept 29- Jack Frost made his appearance this morning  and Mother Earth looks considerably older than usual...
Monday, Sept 30-... I made a discovery of some graybacks [lice], and made  an immediate attack on them by boiling my clothing in salt water...

Mon, Oct 21-  ...There was a funeral today of a young man of Co. H ( John W. Henry) who died of camp fever.
Mon., Oct 28-  I was very sick, and took an emetic; some better.

Fri., Nov. 1-  Again assisting Orderly Shotwell in making out payrolls. Heard heavy firing in the direction of Gauley Bridge, and in the evening we learned the sad news that the secesh have possession of the ferry, commanding the road to Camp Tompkins, and cutting off our supplies.
Sunday, Nov 10-  Sharp, Goodhue, Taylor and I got a pass to go after some beef or mutton, and slaughtered two choice beeves...

Sunday, Dec.1-  ...was this day promoted to fourth sergeant by order of E.R. Eckley, lieutenant colonel commanding the 26th O.V.I.
Tu., Dec 10-  Relieved at the usual time, and did some washing.  At dress parade, in a regimental order which was read, we received the joyful intelligence that the paymaster's clerk had arrived in camp and ordered all muster and pay rolls to be made out.  I venture to say I never saw more smiling countenances among the same number of men.
Fri., Dec 13- ...assisted Lieut. Hicks in distributing the articles of clothing that were received from home...ordered to lay on our arms, and be ready to fall in at a moment's notice, as the secesh cavalry has been seen gathering around our camp in large numbers.
Sun. Dec 15-  Early this morning we had grand review of the whole brigade, and the presentation of the stars and stripes, the glorious emblem of liberty, to our regiment....
Th. Dec. 19-  If countenances were made glad yesterday, they were made more glad today by the receipt of pay to Oct. 31.   We drew $46 to $100 per man, averaging $60 to the man in our company.
Mon., Dec. 23- ...A very sudden change in the weather from pleasant to a very cold wind, makes it rather pinching to remain on duty twenty-four hours without sleep.
Fri.[ actually should be Tuesday], Dec. 24- ... the captain notified John Black and me that were detailed to go to Ohio for recruiting service...
Wed., Dec. 25-  Very busy all morning receipting for money to be carried home.  At 9 30 a.m. bade adieu to the boys, and left Fayetteville behind...


Sat., Jan. 11-  Hearing that the regiment had received orders to march into Kentucky, I went over to Ashley to ascertain if possible the correctness of the report, and saw E.V. Donnan, who had just arrived from camp.  He said the report was true, and I returned home better satisfied, and much pleased with our expected change of position.
Mon., Jan 13-  ... learned today that we are to report back to the regiment at Cinccinnati [sic], next Thursday, the 16th...
Th., Jan 16-  Up at early hour, prepared for starting.  After our arrival at Ashley we found a goodly concourse of people gathered to show their respect for the soldiers, and bid us farewell... At 1230 we bade adieu to relatives (Long may they live!), and stepped aboard the train bound for Cincinnati, where  we arrived at 7 p.m....in a very short time we were visited by a portion of our company, who had arrived from Fayetteville, on their way to Louisville, Ky.  The boys all appeared to be well pleased with the chance to leave West Virginia.
Fri., Jan. 17- ...we spent a considerable time in strolling around the city [Cincinnati], and found a large number of soldiers 'going in on their nerve', as they have been cooped up in the hills of West Virginia for five and a half months, and when they came out to a country where they can see the sun rise and breathe the free air of civilization, they were almost unmanageable...
Sat., Jan. 24--- had battalion drill in the afternoon by Col. Fyffe, and dress parade in the evening, at which time, I, in behalf of the company, made the presentation of a sword annd nice silk sash to our gallant captain, Jesse Meredith, after which the colonel proposed three cheers for company C, and their glorious old captain, and the regiment sent up three as hearty cheers as ever echoed in the groves of noble Kentucky...

Wed., Feb 5-  ...At noon the regiment was formed and marched to an adjoining camp to witness the execution of Samuel Calhoun, private Co. A, 2d Kentucky, for the murder of a citizen near Bardstown, on January 23d.  He seemed calm, examining the rope and bidding the boys good-bye.  at 2 10 he drew the cap over his head with his own hands, and then placing them behind to be tied, he was launched forth into eternity.  May an all wise God have mercy on his soul...
Wed., Feb. 12-  Pleasant day, and drilling as usual.  At dress parade a flag was presented to Co. G by the citizens of Youngstown [Ohio], where the company was raised. 
Sat., Feb.15-  Struck tents at 6 a.m. Column marched at 8 30 which was a disagreeable job, as it was the coldest morning we have had since coming into the state, although the sun had heat enough to thaw the roads, making it quite muddy and hard marching, especially after passing New Haven...There seems to be a general movement of all the troops, as the sick are being sent back to Bardstown by the hundreds.
Sun., Feb. 16-  Again on the march at an early hour...received intelligence that Fort Donelson had been taken with 13,000 secesh prisoners, and that Bowling Green was evacuated.
Mon., Feb. 17-  ... although we have marched for several days in the mud, with hard boots and sore feet, despite the utterance of many imprecations, the regiment marched on as joyfully as if going to a celebration or camp meeting.
Tu., Feb. 18-  Exceedingly fine day, and all are busily engaged in cleaning arms, etc. for inspection...in the evening we received a dispatch that our forces under General Grant had taken Gen. Buckner and may other southern officers of note prisoners.  Such was the enthusiasm that the men cheered  and marched around the camp with martial music, calling on all the field officers and captains for speeches, and they all responded in patriotic terms, giving cause for more cheers.  Bully for the Twenty-sixth Ohio!
Mon.,  Feb. 24th- The brigade, composed of the 15th, 17th, and 50th Indiana and the 26th Ohio, commanded by Milo S Hascall, of the 17th Indiana, moved at noon, and marched 11 miles...

Tu., Mar. 4-  ...I was at the river assisting in carrying commissary stores.  Returning to quarters in the afternoon, I witnessed the drumming out of camp of a soldier for some trivial offense, or theft....In the evening the regiment moved out of town [Bowling Green KY]...
Fri., Mar. 7-... We crossed the Tennessee and Kentucky line at 2 p.m....
Sat., Mar. 8-  Reveille at 4 00 a.m. Column marched at 6 30, making 21 miles through a fine looking country, but I noticed that nearly all the houses were vacated by all save the darkies...
Wed., Mar. 12-  ...Struck tents and marched at 1 p.m., arriving at Nashville at 4...we passed through Nashville ...marched 5 miles beyond...
Wed., Mar. 19-  ...I was sent with a corporal and six me [sic] to Nashville on patrol duty.  Towards evening we visited the cemetery, and I got a sliver off of the headboard of General Zollicoffer's [ Confederate General]grave...
Mon., March 24- Pleasant day, and drilled as usual.  At dress parade we were visited by Colonel Hascall, commanding the brigade, and he gave the regiment the praise of being the best he had seen in the service.  he said that our company paid the best attention of any company in the regiment, and looked more like West Point cadets than volunteers. 
Tu., March 25-  ...At dress parade we were visited again by Colonel Hascall, who was accompanied by General Wood, commanding this the Sixth Division.  General Wood complimented us very highly, saying that we made the best appearance, and were the best disciplined, and best looking volunteer regiment he had seen in the service, and he was happy to have the command of such a regiment.
Wed., March 26th-  ...At dress parade an order was read from General Wood highly complimenting the regiment, which gave great satisfaction to the boys...
Th., Mar.27-  ...the whole regiment went to the surgeon's tent to be vaccinated, as a protection against smallpox.
Fri. Mar. 28-  ...we were visited by General Wood at battalion drill, and he again complimented the regiment on its discipline, and on our regularity and order in drilling.  Received orders to be ready to march at 7 o'clock in the morning.
Sun., Mar. 30-...The weather is hot and the roads dusty, making it very disagreeable, sore, and tiresome marching.  We passed through Franklin, a nice town of some 2,000 inhebitants [sic]... and halted 15 miles from the place of starting.

Tu., April 1-  ...wading Duck river and passing through Columbia...
Wed., April 2-  Struck tents at 6 a.m., but being today the rear regiment of the brigade, and the rear brigade of the division, we did not get started on the march till 10 30.  We passed the plantation of the rebel Gen. Pillow at noon... we halted on the plantation of the rebel General Andrew Polk, and partook of such refreshments as our haversacks afforded... passed Mt Pleasant...having traveled 14 miles, with a head wind blowing dust in our faces.
Fri., April 4-  The 26th Ohio and the 17th Indiana, with a small force of cavalry, were ordered to provide themselves with three days rations in their haversacks to take a scout,  taking a byroad of zigzag turn, but bearing in a southeast course.  A heavy rain fell at noon, and remained as a reserve for the cavalry until 4 30 p.m....making a march of 23 miles, and routing 800 rebel cavalry, taking 7 prisoners, some horses, and about two tons of provisions [near Lawrenceburg, Tenn.].  Without a doubt we saved our division trains, as they are some distance behind, with a weak guard, and it was the intention of the rebels to destroy them...
Sat., April 5-  Started at 6 00 a.m. The roads are better, and we want to reach Savannah as soon as possible.  We passed Waynesboro at 10:30 a.m., and here took a more westerly course.  Heard heavy firing in the direction of Savannah.  Halted at 4 30 pm in a large wheat field, 22 miles from place of starting, and 19 mile from Savannah.
Sun.[ actually Monday], April 7- Up at 1 30 am, intending to march at 3 o'clock, but did not start until 5 20.  The roads were blockaded  with wagons, the marching very hard, and we made slow progress.  I never saw so many wagons at one time in my life...arriving at Savannah at 8 20, and got on board a steamboat.
Tu., April 8-  We remained on board the boat all night, and at 5 am, the boat steamed up the river 8 miles, to the the [sic] battle grounds.  The brigade was formed, and moved out over the grounds of the battle.  Expecting to continue the battle, we pushed forward, but the Secesh had fled.  Dead, wounded, trees shot away, shot, shell, small arms of every description, and military fixtures of every kind, lay scattered over the round, and were the abundant evidence of a desperate conflict.  At 1 p.m. our company was detailed for picket, and  when I was posting the men at night we had to tread with caution to keep from trampling on dead rebels, and everything in the way of army equipments and missiles of death are scattered over the ground for ten miles around.
Wed., April 9-  We had a pretty bad night.  Our blankets and overcoats were left behind; and it rained all night.  We were relieved by Co. H at 2 p.m., and returned to camp, and lay without tents...Judge our condition and feelings.
Th., April 10- Feeling suspicious of mischief, in consequence of the visit of some Texas rangers under a flag of truce yesterday, we were drawn up in line of battle early...at 10 40 am...the long roll sounded, and in 30 minutes it is estimated 100 000 men were in line of battle, extending 6 miles or over.  We remained in waiting until 4 00 o'clock, when we returned to our quarters...at 6 p.m. our brigade was again drawn  up in line, and moving 1 1/2 miles, lay in waiting until morning, and returned.
Fri., April 18-  We had rations of liquor issued to us, the first time since we came into the service...
Th., April 14 [ actually April 24]-  The brigade went out in support of a scouting party to drive in the rebel pickets.  The rebel camp was burned and a few prisoners taken.

Sat., May 17-  Orders came at 6 a.m. to strike tents immediately...we formed in line of battle, stacked arms, and rested till 2 p.m. when orders came to pitch tents, being the first time that we ever pitched tents on the same ground of striking...at 5 o'clock  we heard heavy firing...marching 4 miles in the direction of the firing, and halted in a thick growth of underbrush, and lay on our arms overnight.
Sun., May 18-  W lay in the brush all day, with the pickets on both sides skirmishing, and a few shells thrown...
Mon., May 19th-  ... our regiment went out on picket, and kept up a skirmishing fire, and also threw a number of shells, but with what effect I did not learn.
Wed., May 28th-  ...there was heavy firing kept up along the line, and considerable skirmishing, with some loss on both sides.  We took 60 prisoners, and drove the rebels back about one mile.
Fri., May 30-  Pleasant day, and received information of the evacuation of Cornith by the rebels, which caused  a deep depression of mind in all the soldiers here, they preferring to risk a battle rather than chasing their spalpeens.
Sat., May 31-  ...formed the brigade...and moved off for Cornith, where we arrived 9 20...completely vacated by the secesh...

Mon., June 2-  ...Moved off  at 9 30, passing through a country gently rolling, with a thin sandy clay soil, and a thick growth of oak  underbrush and fine pine timber.  Halted at 4 30 for the night, having marched 12 miles.
Sun., June 15th-  Very hot day, and inclines one's mind towards home, as it is one year this day since we left our happy homes for Camp Chase, and many have left the shores of time through the hardships of a soldier's life....
Wed., June 18-  Pleasant day, and in the evening Shotwell, Bowry, and I got permission to go fishing...
Fri., June 20- Fine day, and J.B. Richardson, S.E. Hull and I went to hunt blackberries with good success.

Sat., July 5th- Reville[sic] at 1 30 a.m. and marched at 3 45.  A short march brought us to Decatur, where we were ferried over the Tennessee River...struck off on the railroad track towards Huntville....
Mon., July 14-  ...arrived at Huntsville...we passed 1 1/2 miles beyond the town...The day was excessively hot...halted at 10 30 p.m. after a march for the day of 22 miles.
Sat., July 19th-  Struck tents ...and marched...threw my old portemonnaie away, which I had carried for twelve years...

Fri, Aug. 8th-  Companies C and H started on a scouting expedition after negroes.  We captured eight, one prisoner, some hams and fruit, and marched 20 miles.
Sun., Aug. 10-  ...marched for Fayetteville [Tennessee]... halted at 7 45, after a march of 27 miles.
Mon., Aug. 11-  Up at 3 00 a.m....making a heart of 9 miles without rest, when we waded Elk river, and started off at quick time for Fayetteville...arriving there at 10 o'clock , at such speed that the rebel cavalry did not have sufficient time to mount their horses, but skedaddled doublequick to save themselves.  We wounded one, captured a number of horses, saddles, equipments, a six mule team, 17 pounds of flour, etc. In the evening our company went out on picket.
Tu., Aug. 12-  Remained on picket all day, with secesh bushwhackers in plenty lurking around.
\Wed., Aug. 13-  ...started for Decherd with our captured effects, and 83 negroes... while we were at rest, there were some guerillas fired on our rear guard, frightened the teams, and caused a little excitement for a short time...we halted for the night after a march of 23 miles.
Tu., Aug. 19-  Capt. Meredith started home, having resigned...
Sun., Aug. 24-  ..started for McMinnville...we halted at 4 p.m. 10 miles from our old camp, marching 19 miles.
Mon., Aug. 25-  ... our company being in the advance of the division...We began climbing the Cumberland mountains, and after we had got to the top we rested several hours, waiting for the train to ascend, which was slow work, as the road was very steep and rocky...
Sat., Aug. 30-  At 2 a.m. I was awakened to go with a detail of 20 men to escort our surgeons 12 miles out on the railroad, where 1,500 rebel cavalry under Gen. Forrest attempted a charge on two companies of the 18th Ohio and one company of the 9th Michigan, and were repulsed with a loss of 10 killed and 40 wounded, 4 of which have since died.  Our loss was 7 wounded, one seriously.  Our troops were commanded Capt. H.R. Miller, Co A 18th Ohio {Formerly a corporal of Co. B, 26th Ohio}.  At 2 p.m. we started to return to camp, but were intercepted by the same cavalry.  They deployed and attempted to flank us, but we fell back and tried another road.  We were again cut off, and again fell back, and then we tried the third time through the woods, and passed about ten minutes in the rear of where they had just crossed.  Arrived safe in camp at 5 45 p.m. having marched 44 miles, and found the regiment had left a short time before on doublequick after the cavalry, and overtook them about 9 miles from camp, which distance was made in 55 minutes.  Our boys dispersed them, and captured their hospital stores and instruments, with a large quantity of arms, clothing, etc, and returned to camp ...footsore and weary, but highly elated with their success.

Tu., Sept 2-  ...At dress parade orders were ready congratulating Col. Fyffe for dispersing the rebel cavalry under Gen. Forrest on the 30th of August.
Fri., Sept 5-   ...Passed Murfreesboro...As we have had no pork for a long time, and no vegetables, the boys just more than went for the hogs, poultry, sweet potatoes and green peas, and had a nice feast after a long fast.
Sat., Sept 6th-  ...a hot day, dusty roads and extreme scarcity of water... Camped at noon within two miles of Nashville, 20 miles from the place of starting.
Wed., Sept 10th-  ...passed through Mitchellville and crossed the state line into Kentucky...marched to within 3 miles of Bowling Green...after a march of 31 miles.
Sun., Sept. 14-  Exceedingly hot day; and our regiment is on picket at one of the points fortified by the rebels; and now, just at sunset, one of the most beautiful sights is before the eye.  Bowling Green, the fortifications, the oval hills and fine valleys, with the sun's golden rays reflecting on them, make a picture that is almost sublime.
Tu., Sept 16-  ...This day Lieutenant W.C. Ross of Company G is assigned to the command of Company C.
Th., Sept. 18-  Took up the line of march at 5 30 a.m.. and shortly after heard  firing from the skirmishers.  ...we moved forward 3 miles, captured 60 prisoners, arms, etc, and camped after a march of 13 miles.  Our company went on picket.
Sat. Sept. 20-  ...received orders to march at 3 a.m. tomorrow, with three days' rations in our haversacks ( to last six days) and 80 rounds of cartridges.  I remained up until 11 o'clock, baking hoecake on a board by the campfire.
Sun., Sept. 21-  Up at 2 30 a.m. and took up the line of march...In a short time we drew up in line of battle, and remained at hand until 8 15, when we advanced by the right of company to the front.  After we had arrived within 2 1/2 miles of Munfordsville skirmishing began, and at 3 15 cannonading began, continuing nearly an hour when our regiment doublequicked, wading Green river and driving the rebels from their position; could not see their coat tails for dust...
Tu., Sept. 23- Again on the road...made good time, marching to Elizabethtown by noon...distance for the day, 27 miles.
Wed., Sept. 24-  ...arrived at West Point on the Ohio river, after a march of 12 miles.  Again went on...
Thur., Sept. 25-  ...had one of the most tedious marches of our experience, and arrived at Louisville at 2 a.m. on the 26th...
Fri., Sept. 26-  Lay in town...enjoying ourselves more or less.

Wed., Oct. 1, 1862-  All astir early, preparing for another trip through Dixie...
Sat., Oct 4-  ...our regiment in advance of the whole column.  Made fast time and left the pike, and went through Fairfield.  At 1 p.m. we rested, but had just unslung our equipments when we ( our regiment) were ordered forward.  We advanced but a short distance when we came up with the rebels, and a sharp skirmish ensued, resulting in driving the secesh.  Then we advanced in line of battle 2 1/2 miles, and entered Bardstown...
Mon., Oct. 6-  ...making good time.  Water was extremely scarce.  Arrived at Springfield at 3:15 p.m., rested in the fairgrounds, and finally stayed over night.
Tu., Oct. 7-  ...had another of those tedious marches.  Great suffering prevailed in consequence of the scarcity of water.  Passed through Haysville and encamped handy to good water...
Wed., Oct 8-  ...received a dispatch from General Buell, stating that the rebels were in position ahead, and that he had attacked them.  then we made good time, and at 5:15 p.m. wheeled into position within supporting distance, after a march of 9 miles.
Th., Oct. 9-  At 7:10 a.m. the first gun was fired.  But few shots were exchanged...in a short time moved forward through the village of Perryville, where we got water and drew some rations...saw some parts of the battlefield.  A large number of wounded rebels were yet on the ground uncared for...
Fri, Oct 10-  Again on the march..there was skirmishing on our right and in front...The enemy is in line of battle a short distance in our front...
Sat. Oct 11-  ...while at breakfast, our pickets were fired upon and driven in, and we immediately formed and laid in line all day.  No other casualties.
Tu., Oct. 14-...passing Danville before daylight.  After marching 10 miles some skirmishing and cannonading took place...then moved forward and encamped 1 mile from Stanford...
Wed., Oct. 15-...passed Crab Orchard...
Sat., Oct. 18- ...passed through Mt. Vernon, making a forced march  over a very rough, hilly country...
Wed., Oct. 22- ...again taking the back track, passing Crab Orchard...
Th., Oct. 23-  ...keeping on the back track to Stanford, where we turned and passed Houstonville...
Fri., Oct 24-  ...passed through Liberty.  Followed down the Green river, climbed one bench of high hills...
Wed., Oct 29-  ...Four recruits came for our company, and we had an equal number captured and paroled.
Th., Oct. 30-  ... Passed Columbia and traveled over a very rough, mountainous country...

Tu., Nov. 4-   On the road... After a short rest I went up on a rise of ground, and the most magnificant sight was in view- the fires of a division of men in a small space.
Tu., Nov. 11-  ... At 2 p.m. our regiment was ordered to fall in immediately and we started off at double quick to relieve some cavalry in trouble...
Wed., Nov. 19-  ...made a tedious march...Passed General Andrew Jackson's old residence and tomb [Hermitage].

Tu., Dec. 2-  Had grand review of the troops of this brigade by Colonel Wilder of the Seventeenth Indiana Volunteers...
Th., Dec. 4-  Blustering day;  had grand review of our division by Major General W.S. Rosecrans and staff.
Sat. Dec. 6-  ...John Black and John Crouse were taken prisoner.
Mon., Dec. 15-  ...Saw J. Black on his way to Camp Chase. . ..
Sat., Dec. 20-  ...in the evening there was heavy firing for a short time to the right and in front.
Th., Dec. 25-  I went to the city [ Nashville] for express goods.  The regiment is out foraging.  Came in at 8 o'clock and we had a fine mess of oysters for a Christmas supper.
Fri., Dec. 26-  All bustle and confusion...The column formed and moved off...I had an official document to deliver at Nashville, after which I had no chance to return, and had to stay with the train, which came to the city, instead of following the army.
Sat., Dec. 27-  ...heard heavy firing at a distance all day.


Th., Jan. 1, 1863- ...Some of the wounded came in, stating that our regiment figured very conspicously in the great battle pending near Murfreesboro [ Battle of Stones River].
Fri., Jan. 2-  ...full of wild rumors, but nothing definite from the battlefield.
Th., Jan.8-  Proceeded to the regiment, where we arrived at about 9 a.m.  Found the boys in good spirits and well pleased at seeing the tents and provisions arrive...
Wed. Mar. 4-  ... At dress parade a sword of exquisite workmanship was presented to Major W. H. Squires by the officers of the regiment, and a number of patriotic and appropriate speeches were made by Lieut. Col. Young, Major Squires and others. 
Sat., Mar. 7-  Cloudy.  today the company elected Sidney Winsor, Gillman Houseworth and Theron M Messenger as the three for the roll of honor for bravery in the late battle, by order of Major General Rosecrans. 
Fri., Mar. 20-  Pleasant day; the principal amusement is chase, town, and football.
Sun., Mar. 29-  ...in the afternoon Lieutenant Shotwell and I took a walk and visited the fortifications, which are beautiful  and impregnable for any force.  Today we drew our new pup tents, in accordance with General Halleck's orders.

Th., April 2-  Very pleasant day, and the camp is all hilarity.  The  boys are engaged in games, such as quoits, ball, dancing jigs to music, etc.
Mon., April 6-  ... I went to the express office and forwarded $1,165 home for Company C, and I sent $90 , making $300 I have sent home.
Tu., April 14-  ...Today I finished reading my Testament.  General Wood took his leave of the regiment today.
Sun., April 19-  ...review by General Brannon.
Fri., April 24-  ... the regiment was employed in cutting and hauling cedar for shade and ornament, and now we have the nicest camp we ever occupied.

Friday, May 1, 1863-  This day is the second anniversary of the commencement of the pay of Company C, and a fine day it is...went up to the One Hundredth Illinois and got some ale.
Sun., May 10-   Fine day, and in the afternoon had brigade dress parade and grand review by General Brannon, Colonel Fyfee and their staffs.  This evening the camp is all cheering over the report that Richmond has fallen.
Th., May 21-   ... General Wood paid us a visit, he again taking charge of this division.
Th., May 28-  ... we received orders to pack up and be ready to march at a minute's notice, but did not move;  heard good news from Grant.

Th., June 4-  ...did not move, so the officers were on a small bender at the sutler's.  Heard heavy firing all day in the direction of Franklin.
Mon., June 15-  Very hot day, and my mind was running back, as this is the first anniversary of our celebrated fall at Florence, Ala. and the second anniversary of our entering Camp Chase, Ohio.
Wed., June 17---...Today I threw away my old Decherd hat, and bought a new one.
Fri., June 19-  Very hot day.  Major Degenfeld presented the regiment a barrel of ale this evening and all is hilarity.
Wed., June 24th-  Struck tents and moved out at 7 15 a.m....made good time...heavy cannonading continually from noon until evening...three wagons are allowed to a regiment.  While at Murfreesboro there was constant company, battalion, brigade, and division drill.
Sat., June 27-  Moved out at 8 a.m., an our brigade, the First, repaired the roads for the teams to come up...In the evening we were visited by many women.   All of them were unionists, many the wives, mothers, sisters and sweethearts of the men of Stokes' Tennessee union cavalry, which regiment that day led the advance, many of them skirmishing  in their own door yards, cheered on by those who were dearest to them, and who had followed on to camp.  As the regiment passed them, the files were dressed, and the band played a lively march in their honor.
Sun., June 28-  Rained hard all night; started at 6 o'clock to cross the barrens, and the roads being bad, we made slow progress, a heavy rain making it worse.  Halted at 4 o'clock , after a march of 10 miles, and 4 miles yet to Manchester...

Wed., July 1, 1863-  Moved out at 12 30 p.m., and while in town we got word  that the rebels had evacuated Tullahoma, so we halted until 6 o'clock...Camped at 10 o'clock 2 miles from Hillsboro, after a march of 8 miles.
Sat., July 4-  We lay still all day, and heard heavy firing in the distance.  In the evening we fired a salute, and were answered by the rebels from the other side of the mountain.  Out of rations.  Hourly roll calls to keep the boys in camp.
Sun., July 5-  ...All quiet, but good news from Meade.  No rations.
Tu., July 7-  ...I suppose there is good news from some quarter, as there were two national salutes and one general salute this morning. [ Gettysburg and Vicksburg campaigns had ended with Union victories a few days earlier]
Th., July 9-  At an early hour the Twenty-sixth drew half rations, and stated to guard a train of 103 wagons to Murfreesboro and back....
Sun., July 12-  ...the regiment came back from Murfreesboro, having marched 86 miles over very muddy roads on the trip.
Wed., July 15-   ...Good news from Grant, but Morgan is going into Ohio.
Fri., July 17-  Pleasant day, and still good news from our armies.
Mon., July 20-  ...and all quiet, with good news for us from Morgan.
Sat., July 25-  ... the regiment was paid today for four months, and the boys began to go  in for something good to eat and other necessities.  The longer they soldier  the more lavishly they spend their money.

Sat., August 1, 1863-  Warm day, but nothing compared to two years ago today, when we left Camp Chase for the field of active operation.
Fri., August 7-  Hot and sultry, and I feel lonesome enough, bordering on homesickness.
Sat., August 8-  Very warm day.  John Sharp and I went blackberrying, and then went to a neighboring convention, where the citizens were organizing for the purpose of defending themselves against rebel cavalry.  We were entertained with music and speeches by Captain Yaryan, of General Wood's staff, and Lieutenant-Colonels Young and Palmer.
Wed., August 12-  Hot day; heard heavy firing in the distance; wrote a letter to the Delaware Gazette...
Sun., August 16-  ...we passed Pelham  Went into camp at 2 30, after a march of 12 miles.
Mon., August 17-  Reveille at 3 30 a.m. and moved out at 6 45, shortly afterward beginning the ascent of the mountain, which is very crooked and steep. Our brigade is assisting the teams, which , after leaving one half of their load at the food of the mountain, are still hard to get up.  Now at 5 30, I am seated on a large rock on the very pinnacle of the mountain, and the bands are making the time more endurable by their joyous music.  Mule drivers are hollowing  and swearing several hundred feed beneath us...The men worked hard all day pulling up teams and half loaded wagons, then going to the foot of the mountain for the other half of load, going 9 miles to make 3 in distance.
Th., August 20- Started down the mountain at sunrise , and reached the Sequatchie valley...this makes the mountains  36 miles from foot to foot by this route.  This valley is 70 miles longs and averages 4 miles wide.  It is very fertile, but very hot, as there is but little air.  Peaches are plenty and good, and as we had fasted for several days, we are now feasting awhile. After crossing the Cumberland mountains I conclude not to dispute the fact that Bonaparte did cross the Alps, but am well satisfied he never crossed the Cumberland.
Fri., August 21-  Hot as love in harvest...
Sat., Aug. 22-  This morning a detail of 400 went on a two days' scout, and shortly after their departure the rest of the camp were ordered to pack up and be ready to march or fight as the rebs were coming up the valley; but in a short time the order was countermanded...the signal corps is very busy this evening.
Mon., August 24-  ... Rebel deserters are coming in freely; a squad of 14 came in at one time.
Th., August 27-  ...News came into camp to the effect that Charleston had fallen, that Lee fell back on Richmond and that Chattanooga was evacuated.

Tues., Sept. 1, 1863-  ...The sun rose in all his splendor, resembling a huge lump of gold, and through the little fog could be looked upon without the least pain to the eye; but it soon became hot, and the dust being bad, it made disagreeable marching.  We made good time, however, after a march of 20 miles, within 2 miles of Jasper.  In the evening E.V. Donnan, myself and some others took a trip into a cave close to camp, and went in about half a mile and filled our canteens and gathered some relics of stone of nice form. The cave is beautifully arched, and is ornamented with domes and overhanging rocks. It contains several passages and apartments.
Wed., Sept 2-  ...at 6 30 p.m. we moved out, leaving all wagons behind to go by Bridgeport, except one hospital wagon to each regiment.  Arrived at the Tennessee river at Shellmound, and commenced crossing in flat boats, it taking our brigade until after sunrise.  Marched 8 miles.
Th. Sept . 3-  ...Remained at Shellmound today, ferrying the ammunition and ambulance trains over..
.Sat. Sept. 5-  ... moved out at 3 15 p.m., up the river toward Chattanooga.  The road being narrow and rough, we made slow time, and went into camp at 8 30, after a march of 10 miles.  Camped in a ravine so narrow that we had to get into close columns of battalions to have room.  We were fronting the hills, and were so near the enemy  that all music and bugle calls were strictly prohibited.
Sun., Sept. 6-  ... we did not move until 8 15, and as we are getting close to the enemy, we had to proceed with caution.  After we had gone about 9 miles we saw the rebs signaling, and they kept it up within our sight but out of our reach, as they were on the top of Lookout mountain and nearly over our heads.  There being only two brigades of us the rebs  made an attempt to flank and gobble us, to avoid which we moved back to a strong position; and we still guard the road by which they would have to come.  Lay on our arms the remainder of the night, and were not molested.  Marched 12 miles.
Tu., Sept. 8-  Very hot day; lay in the brush; some firing in front.
Wed. Sept. 9-  Up early, as we had orders to reconnaissance...we received orders to take everything, and it proved a move in force.  Our regiment was in front, but we were soon passed by the Ninety-second Illinois mounted infantry.  They were soon stopped by the rebs, and while they were skirmishing our regiment began a flank movement over the point of Lookout Mountain, but the rebs took the hint and skedaddled.  Then in a short time we were in the notorious town of Chattanooga, having traveled 8 miles to find the rebs had evacuated, as usual.  Our camp being handy to the great Tennessee river, we took advantage of the occasion and had a good bath.  This place is a very stony, natural position, made almost impregnable if garrisoned  by the right material in a just cause.
Th., Sept 10-  ...we left Chattanooga at 9 a m, and as our regiment was the advance entering we were the rear of the corps leaving, being much annoyed by dust. Just after dinner we were deployed along the division train to guard against some rebel cavalry seen on our flank.  Many deserters from the rebel army came in and surrendered.  Made an easy march of 9 miles, and went into camp at 6 o'clock.
Fri., Sept. 11-  ...made slow and unsteady time for about 3 miles, when we formed in line of battle and lay until 4 p.m.- skirmishing going on in front.  Then our brigade took a by-road and circled to the right, traveling 11 miles.  Went into camp at 10 o'clock at Lee & Gordon's Mills, on Chickamauga creek, 14 miles from Chattanooga...The rebel camp is only one half mile in our front, reported two brigades strong.  Their camp fires are plainly seen.
Sun., Sept. 13-  We changed position with information that we were going into a regular camp and that we could fix up form comfort, but we were almost immediately moved about three quarters of a mile, drawn up in line of battle, and told that the rebs were within sight and advancing.  We sent out scouting parties, and shots were liberally and rapidly  exchanged for a short time, and then all became quiet.  Our casualties were two killed and two wounded.
Tu., Sept. 15-  ... the regiment, with the Fifty eight Indiana, went out about a mile, bus saw no enemy. Built a foot bridge over the river [Chickamauga Creek].
Th., Sept. 17-  Orders came for an early breakfast and to pack up and be ready for any emergency, but everything was quiet until evening, when some rebel cavalry made a dash on our pickets, but were repulsed.
Fri., Sept. 18-  At 11 a.m. the troops were ordered into line, and immediately moved down to the banks of the creek, as the rebs were driving in our pickets.  Skirmishing began, and the batteries opened on the rebel line of battle, now seen advancing in the rear of their skirmishers, causing them to lay low.  By the dust their cavalry were seen moving to our left, and shortly  after  brisk cannonading was heard in that direction for a short time. Then all remained quiet until dusk, when a sharp fight took place on our left [ may have been Wilder's Brigade's engagement at Alexander's Bridge].
Sat., Sept. 19-- By the rattling of artillery through the night it was certain that General Rosecrans was moving his army to the left to intercept the rebs in that direction, which , it appears, is to be the battlefield.  At 8 a.m. the rebel skirmishers advanced through a hot fire from our pickets and sharpshooters to an old fence about 400 yards in our front, and lay so low that we can do nothing for them now.  The rebels are still moving to our left, and now, at 10 o'clock, our battery is shelling their columns.  At 1 o'clock the rebel skirmishers withdrew through another hot fire.At 3 15 our division was ordered to reenforce at double quick.  The fighting had been going on hot for several hours to our left, and we had just got into position[ at Viniard Field]--and a poor one it was-- as the rebels were coming up.  They were at short range, but we could not see them for underbrush, and we were in an open space.  They fired a volley into our ranks, cutting us up desperately. Here I received a gun shot  wound in my right shoulder, and then started for the rear.  I saw none going to the rear, only those who were wounded and those who were assisting them from the field to the hospital.  Here the balls, grape and shells fell like hail, and many were wounded the second and third times, and some killed.  At the hospital the sight was horrible--mangled limbs, the groans of the wounded and dying, and the pale and ghastly faces of the dead.  But little attention could be paid to the distressed wounded, the number being so great, and others still coming in from the field.
Sun., Sept. 20-  Fighting was resumed this morning, and from the firing the rebs were apparently gaining the advantage, but they paid dearly notwithstanding their superior numbers.  At 2 o'clock all the wounded that could walk were ordered to Chattanooga, where we arrived at sunset, a distance by this route of 14 miles.  We went into the general hospital, where our wounds were washed with cold water.
Mon., Sept. 21-  The wounded came in in such numbers that it was necessary to send away all who were able to go, so a large number started for Bridgeport...
Tu., Sept. 22-  We piled into army wagons, and started for Stevenson, Ala, 40 miles distant over miserably rough roads...News from the front is that Rosecrans has fallen back to within 3 miles of Chattanooga, but is heavily reenforced.
Th., Sept. 24-  This morning we moved up to the field hospital--ward F, tent 3, got our wounds dressed, and took a train for Nashville...We were taken to hospital No. 13 where our wants were attended to and we were better cared for.

[ From here , Sgt. Cole slowly improved, and on Oct. 22 he was granted a furlough home.  Left for Ashley, Ohio that day, and spend the next few weeks recuperating, visiting family and friends, and visiting fellow wounded comrades who had also been furloughed home. He began his gradual return to the regiment on Nov. 19, finally joining back up with them on April 7th, after spending four months in a convalescent regiment of the 4th Corps in and around Chattanooga, Tenn..  Key events happened during his absence that were mentioned in an Editor's addendum to Sgt. Cole's journal.  Below are excerpts from
The Ohio Soldier Editor's addendum when Sgt Cole's journal was typed.]

After the battle of Chickamauga, and while Comrade Cole was absent wounded, the regiment fell back with the army to Chattanooga, fortified, and bore its part in the siege, suffering much from bad weather, exposure and hard work.  Over 60 per cent of the regiment engaged were killed and wounded in the fight, so that we began the siege with 152 officers and men present for duty.  October 11 we received notice that in the reorganization of the army we were assigned to (Wagner's) Second brigade, (Sheridan's) Second division, (Granger's) Fourth corps.  We took part in the capture of Orchard Knob, supporting Wood's division on its right.  Also took part in the assault on Mission ridge, losing ---men killed and wounded, continuing the pursuit that night out to Chickamauga creek, and commenced to rebuild the bridge destroyed  by the rebels; but were ordered back to Chattanooga  to march to the relief of Knoxville.  Started November 28, in light marching order, without blankets or overcoats.  While on the march we made 25 miles day, except when delayed in crossing streams, all the bridges being destroyed.  December 6, at Marysville, within 13 miles of Knoxville, we learned that the rebels had retreated.  We took it leisurely into and beyond the city, and operated with the army of the Ohio against Longstreet, in the vicinity of Blain's Cross Roads.Almost barefooted--many literally so-- with summer suits worn threadbare, with only a "pup tent" or rubber blanket to protect themselves from the cold, the men built heaps of three to five logs, sat by them while they burned, and then laid down in the warm ashes and slept...There was the usual amount of good natured grumbling , but despite the "hard times" and the fact that it was an unusually severe winter, the health of the regiment seemed fair. January 6 all of the men present save 22 enlisted as veterans and started home on furlough...}


Th., Jan. 21-  The regiment was this day mustered into the veteran volunteer service...
Sun., Jan. 24th-  A most delightful day. I returned to convalescent camp to await further development of how I will have to pass the remainder of my enlistment.
Sun., Jan. 31-  Pleasant and warm; ...This being the eighth anniversary of my marriage, my mind is naturally drawn to that day, and to the diversity of the days, as regards the weather, location and vocation.  Then cold and good sleighing, now warm and growing; I was then at home in Delaware county, Ohio, in the enjoyment of peace and plenty; am now at Chattanooga, Tenn, in the army, amid strife, warfare and desolation.  Since then many dear friends have been laid low in death..Then peace and plenty reigned throughout the country; now civil war rages over the land, with desolution and destitution instead.

Wed., Feb. 10- Pleasant day; wrote some letters, and made some laurel root rings for presents....

Tu., March 15-  Cold and windy; Sergeant John Sharp called on me and took breakfast, the regiment having returned last night.  Then I went with him to see the rest of the boys, and all seemed to be well and satisfied  with their visit home, and willing to return to duty at the front...
Tu., March 22-  Commenced snowing in the night...was 14 inches deep on the level, and the soldiers had great fun snowballing.  Talk about the sunny south--Canada could well feel proud of such a snowstorm at this season of the year.  Received three letters, one from that fond and faithful wife whom I am proud to call  mine.  All were answered promptly.

Th., April 7th-...I then applied to the surgeon in charge, and got permission to report to my regiment [ the 26th OVVI]for duty, now located at Charleston, Tenn.
Fri., April 8-  ... I left on the train for Charleston, where I arrived at 12 15 noon without accident, but it was more by good luck than by the good will of the rebs, as they had placed a torpedo on the track, intending it for our train;  but an extra engine has run over and exploded it, tearing up the track and damaging the engine.  Thus we escaped unharmed.
Sat., April 9th-  ...today I again  take upon me the duties of regimental postmaster, the first time since the battle of Chickamauga.
Tu., April 12-...The troops turned out and great guns were fired in honor of the presence of Major General Howard, our corps commander. 
Wed., April 13-  ...The same honors  of yesterday were paid today to Major General Granger.
Sat., April 15-  ...the boys are having a great game of football.Sun., April 17-...brigade inspection by Colonel J.Q. Lane and staff; no mail.
Mon., April 25-  Formed and marching...We went about one mile past Cleveland, and went into camp  at 1 15, after a march of 13 miles or more.

Sun., May 1, 1864-  ... My term of enlistment for three years expires today, but when I will be mustered out is still unknown to me.
Tu., May 3-  ... The column formed and moved out...went into camp at 7 15, after a march of 13 miles.  Our bedroom is large, and as rocky as the bed of the Whetstone [ now called the Olentangy ] river.  Our course has been south.
Wed., May 4-  ...formed and moved out...at 12 30 we halted, took dinner, and loitered around in anxious expectation of further developments, as we are getting in close proximity to the enemy...Changed our position one mile to the right, and occupied the top of a high and long hill, where our corps is now lying.
Th., May 5-   ...John Black and I took a stroll about a half mile to Catoosa Springs, and found it to have been a fashionable summer resort, capable of accommodating hundreds.  There are some fifty odd different  qualities of water- alkali, chalybeate, freestone, white, black, red and blue sulphur, and a well posted chemist alone could tell them all.  Corps headquarters are now at the springs.
Sat., May 7-  ...at 5 15 we formed our line of battle and sent forward Companies A and B as skirmishers, a few shots being exchanged.  Shortly after we changed front forward on the left battalion.  At 9 45 we moved out toward our right to Tunnel Hill and went into camp...
Sun., May 8-  Delightful morning; our camp is on a long, steep hill.  While my mess ( John Sharp, J.F. Doty, Levi Potter and I ) were eating our breakfast of hardtack and sow belly a tremendous racket through the chaperal above us, as though all our mules were stampeding, caused a sudden show of surprise, and a wider opening of our orbs of vision, only to see a darkey coming down the hill at full speed.  In endeavoring to spring over some undergrowth he caught his feet and lit on his head some 20 feet below his place of starting.  On arising he exclaimed, : " Whar's de Hunderd?" meaning the 100th Illinois.  Long and loud were the  shouts of laughter that followed the hero of that desperate leap...John Sharp and I went to the top of Tunnel Hill, and looked down on Buzzard's Roost, where the rebs could be seen tolerably plenty, and we could hear their shouting...
Mon., May 9-  ...Formed a line of battle for a short time, and then commenced the ascent of Stony Face mountain...The rebel fortifications and some of their force are in full view...At 4 o'clock there was heavy musketry, and some artillery firing, the rebels being driven...This evening the Third brigade assaulted the rebel fort, but was repulsed.
Tu., May 10-  Firing again resumed at daylight, the Twenty sixth in front, and loud cheering in all directions.  The surgeon ordered me to report to the division hospital to help take care of the wounded...
Th., May 12-  ...The rebs are making strong demonstrations on our left, and we made breastworks in order to be ready to receive them.  There is heavy skirmishing in our front and extreme right.  It is reported that the rebs are leaving.
Fri., May 13-  Formed and moved out at 7 15 a.m. to the left of the mountain, passing the first line of rebel riflepits at 8 40, and the second line at 8 50;  then through their camps and through their out lines again...heavy skirmishing in front, so we marched in line of battle about a half a mile, and remained as flankers for the night...
Sat., May 14-  ...At 10 o'clock we form our line of battle facing to the east and at 11 30 moved by the left of companies to the front.  At 12 30 we came in contact with the rebel force, when heavy cannonading and musketry began a little to our right,  and growing more and more to our left, continued till 7 15, when skirmishing only continued until darkness put an end to conflict for the day.  In the evening the rebels endeavored to turn our left, but Gen. Hooker's corps had just taken position in time, and repulsed them.  Marched 6 miles.
Mon., May 16th-  Cannoading and firing all last night, and it was very heavy at 11 30 p.m., but this morning we found the rebs had again run and left their works.  ...entered Resaca at 9 45 a.m., where we had to remain...before crossing the Oostenaula river, as there is only one bridge to cross on, the rebs having burned the railroad bridge.  They set fire to the wagon bridge, but our troops came up in time to extinquish the flames. Gen. McPherson is after the rebs close, and firing is heard...
Tues., May 17-  Moved out at 5 30 a.m. and skirmishing began immediately.  Passed through Calhoun at 7 30, when skirmishing grew heavy, and at 9 o'clock we formed our lines, but soon crowded on again very fast considering that we had an exasperating foe in our front to drive out of the way.  At 4 o'clock the rebs made a stout resistance, threw a few shells very close to the column, showing signs of giving us fight, and detained us so went into camp.  Our regiment is on the skirmish line, and had 13 men wounded, but none killed.  Marched 8 miles.
Wed., May 18th-  The rebs having played their old game of running at night, we moved out...We lay at Adairsville till 2 15, when we moved through town, and formed en masse in a large wheat field.  Our whole enemy appears to be concentrating here, at the 4th, 14th, 15th, and 20th army  corps are here, and appearances indicated a fight, but we struck out in fast style and went into camp...
Sun., May 22-  ...Quite a number of old regiments leave for home today to be mustered out of the service.
\Wed, May 25- ...we came up with the 20th army corps where it was fighting, at 5 45, and formed line of battle in support.  The engagement in front was hot, and continued so till dark, when we moved forward and formed on Hooker's left.  Marched 12 miles.
Fri., May 27-  The ball opened this morning at 5 30, by heavy cannonading along our lines.  It continued throughout the day, growing heavier; also the small arms were kept busily engaged until darkness caused the quietude that is only known on a battlefield after action...
Sun, May 29-  Skirmish fire continued all night, and at times was very warm; no cessation throughout the day.  at 10 p.m. the firing was terrific for fifteen or twenty minutes; volley after volley was exchanged, and the cannonading from our lines was heavy...

Sat., June 4-  The skirmishing has been the heaviest continual skimishing we have had for several days, and at times it appears almost an attack.  At 3 30 our boys played the rebs a Yankee trick by raising a shout, and the rebs thought we were charging them.  They arose to repel us, and exposed themselves, receiving a volley of musketry and canister instead of the charge.  The joke was well played, and with effect.
Sun., June 5-  Rained steadily last night, and this morning finds the rebs have evacuated from our front after 11 days' fighting at this point...
Th., June 9-  ...High excitement concerning our non-veterans, whose time has expired.
Fri., June 10-  ...At 4 45 we went into line of battle, fixed bayonets, charged them in the ground...Captain S. H. Ewing came up today, having been absent at Richmond, Va., a prisoner since the battle of Chickamauga, now exchanged.
Wed., June 15-... this is another day that calls my mind most solemnly to the past, but I do not dare to look at the future, except through the eyes of hope.  Three years ago this day my company ( C, Twenty-sixth Ohio) left wives, children, relatives and friends to do battle for our country, at her call, and our scars show how we have bled, and history bears record as to how well we have done our duty through some of the bloodiest battles of the great slave holders' rebellion.  Then we were 100 strong, the pick and choice of many, and now only a small squad survive, the wreck of disease and battles, to return to their friends and homes, made dearer by our long absence and sufferings.  Notwithstanding the expiration of our term for which we were mustered into the service of the United States, we are at the present time preparing for a deadly struggle with the enemies of our glorious country, and God alone knows how many more will be laid low by rebel bullets before we are yet permitted to get home.  It does appear like conscripting men in the field after their three years of hard service have expired while those who were absent from their companies have been either discharged or sent to Ohio for that purpose...At 1 30 we moved forward, and heavy skirmishing soon began and continued till dark, resulting in driving the rebs 2 1/2 miles, and capturing one line of their works.
Fri., June 17-  Early developments show that the rebs have not fallen back from our front, but just swung his left back... we moved forward and soon entered the rebs' works, which are the strongest I have seen since we left Buzzards' Roost; but they do them but little good when we come endwise at them. We soon found them again, and the skirmishing is very heavy.
Sat., June 18-  ...the Twenty-sixth went out on the skirmish line at 2 30 a.m. and at 7 30 charged, took and now hold the second line of rebel works.  The firing of artillery and small arms is the heaviest we have done since the fight at Resaca. Quite a number of prisoners were captured.  The regiment had one captain and 21 men wounded, of whom Sergeant L. A. Cook and Privates Theodore Hall and James Humphreys were of Company C...
Sun., June 19-  The rebel works in our front are found empty again this morning, and we followed them... but only went a short distance till we holed them again.  Our artillery opened on them briskly...we are on an elevated position where we can see the rebs' works and skirmish line, and also our own lines advancing.  Our artillery is throwing iron hail by the volleys, the thunder is terriffic, and a severe rain storm makes it all appear very interesting to those who can sit by their own firesides and read about the honors of fighting...At 4 o'clock the rebels opened a battery on us from Kenesaw mountain, but only made a few shots when our guns opened on them, and soon put a quietus to their sport.  Our regiment went out on the skirmish line at dusk. We advanced 1 1/2 miles.
Mon., June 20-- Heavy skirmishing, and our batteries are shelling Kenesaw mountain...at 3 40 more batteries got into position, and then the heaviest cannonading took place that I have heard since Chickamauga....At 7 30 the brigade was ordered to form and march out by the right flank at double quick to support the First division ( General Stanley)...The heavy fighting this evening was caused by the rebs charging on Stanley's division three successive times, and as often successfully repulsed with severe loss...
Wed., June 22-  Pleasant morning; moved forward and relieved the Third brigade ( Colonel Harker)..The firing was as heavy as any we have had when only the skirmishers were engaged.  At 5 15 our boys charged and drove the rebs into their main works.  The fighting was heavy, and extended to the right.  The Ninety-seventh Ohio lost in killed and wounded  91 men and 6 officers.  At sundown troops are moving to the right, and the Twenty-sixth relieves one of the regiments in the First brigade on the skirmish line to the right.  This was a fine, drying day.
Th., June 23-  ...About 5 p.m. our lines advanced, and the firing became very heavy, both with artillery and infantry, continuing until after dark.  The casualties of the regiment were 4 killed and 6 wounded.  T.J. Simpson, of Company C, and Thomas Mercer, of Company D, were among the killed.  Colonel Bartletson, of the One Hundredth Illinois, was among the killed in the brigade.
Fri., June 24...rather more quiet along our lines than for many days, but I patched my pants while the bullets were whistling over and around my head.
Sat.,  June 25-  ...the rebs are firing from Kenesaw mountain, and our batteries are rapidly replying.
Mon., June 27-   The lines moved early by the right flank to the front of the First brigade ( General Kimble), and formed in close column at 5 30 a.m., when the artillery opened fire.  At 8 30 we charged the rebel works, the Twenty-sixth in the front line, but we were repulsed with severe loss.  The casualties of the regiment were 3 killed and 23 wounded.  Daniel Hopkins and Levi Potter, of Company C were among the killed, and W.C. Smith and Lyman Gardner were wounded.  About noon we returned and took up our old position, and the regiment went on the skirmish line at night.
Wed., June 29-  ...By means of a flag of truce both sides collected and buried the dead, and the men took advantage of the time to exchange coffee and sugar to the rebs for tobacco and greenbacks.  One pint of coffee was exchanged for seven pounds of tobacco, and one pint of sugar for $2 in federal currency.

Fri., July 1, 1864-  Warm day; to illustrate the inconveniences of a soldier's life in the heat of the summer in  the sunny south, I will mention that I found it necessary to scald my blanket to kill the deposits of the bluebottle flies, and cases are numerous where they have blown clean clothes while being worn.  Great care must be taken to prevent them from destroying our rations of sugar, meat, crackers, etc., even after we have them secured in our haversacks.  Great quietude is prevailing along our front, the skirmishers on both sides sitting on their respective rifle pits in full view of each other...
Sun., July 3-  Early demonstrations show that the rebs have again retreated and left their works, from which we could not drive them by assault...the column moved forward and passed near Marietta, going into close column of divisions by regiments.  We rested in the yard of the celebrated Marietta  ( Ga.) military institute.  The rebel works here are unusually strong...

Mon., July 4-  The eighty-ninth anniversary of the declaration of our independence...Judging from the steady skirmishing, the rebs are treed again, but I think there is no danger of them getting in a stronger position than many they have left.  About noon our skirmishers charged and drove the rebs from their rifle pits, and the firing was very heavy for a season...My mess had a good Fourth of July dinner of young potatoes, but our orations were military orders, and our salute was a storm o

         Excerpts from Sergeant Josephus F Doty's Diary
(Thanks to David Jardine who provided me a copy of the Sgt JF Doty's diary that he transcribed in 1960 after coming across it in the attic of a house he had just purchased. The diary apparently belonged to a descendant of Pvt. Jerry Coomer. Mr. Jardine has used JF Doty's diary as the basis and inspiration for two historical fiction novels he has authored, The Emancipation of Jonah Homen, and Jonah's War.)

Monday, Feb. 17th 1862 
I left Ashley Delaware Co Ohio for the 26th Ohio Regt- arrived at Columbus at 1 oclock P.M. remained there the rest of the day.

Tues Feb 18th 1862
Started of Cincinnati at 2 A.M. arrived there at 7 A.M. got aboard the steamer Major Anderson ans started for Louisville at 12 M. arrived there at 11 P.M.

Wed Feb 19.
I went ashore at 7 A.M. in company of Capt. Hicks, B.W. shotwell, E.V. Dorman Jas Bradfield and Jas Nugent and went up at the National Hotel.  It snowed and rained all day.  We found Col. Fyffe at the Hotel.

Thur Feb 20th 62
We took the cars for Mumfordsville at 7 A.M. where we arrrived at 5 P.M. I staid with the 65th Ohio Regt.

Friday Feb 21st 62
I started early for the Regt encamped on Green river we went there and found the Regt had marched for Mumfordsville.  we traveled until dark and stoped at a private house

Sun Oct 26th
It was a cold morning  Jess Mason, Jon Ashburn and I went out foreging.  We got our dinners and some sweet potatoes at Mr. Millers, and went back to camp.

Wed Oct 29th 1862
S.G. Fry, Simpson, Mason and I went out and got our dinners.  Our tents and baggage came up this A.M. and our recruits joined the regt.

Thur Nov 13th
Jess Mason and I went out foreging

Civil War Monument: Delaware Co. Courthouse
Close Up of Relief on front of Monument